Rock ‘n’ Roll USA: DC Half Marathon 2012 Recap

The good: Well… I sure did run the Rock ‘n’ Roll USA: DC half marathon a week ago this past Saturday… and I sure did set a new PR!

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I wasn’t sure how I was going to do it – or if I was going to run it. I wasn’t sure if I had trained hard enough (I didn’t), or if it was the right thing to run my second half in a little over two months, or if I had sufficiently beaten the cold I had earlier in the week, but in the end, I wasn’t about to quit. Stupid stubborn streak.

So I didn’t quit. I didn’t drop out, and I beat my old time by 17 minutes, and my goal time by 9 minutes. Still not Earth-shatteringly fast… or fast at all… but I guess all that running/training I’ve been doing with m 10k training group has really paid off. Good work, running coach. I’m glad I listened to you.

The bad: I now know where my Iliotibial Bands are, and am now no stranger to resulting knee “pain.” I put “pain” in quotes because I like quotes. SIKE. I put “pain” in quotes because it’s not super bad or super real to me yet. But I do spend an inordinate amount of time doing these–>

I’m still icing and also using my stick and foam roller, and I’m happy to report it’s much better. But still – something new I have to concern myself with now. Oh well.

The recycled: Since I’m a sucker for superstition… and a sucker for hearing my name… I decided to recycle one part of my Disney half costume for the DC half:

I think it worked well for me. While most people dressed in green St. Patrick’s day clothing (did I mention that the race was on St. Patrick’s Day?), I stuck out in my blue and black ensemble… and the fact that I had my name plastered over the front? Well, I became a (willing) target of “Go Molly! Run Molly” cheers. Super fun.

The awesome: I’ll have to sign-up for a smaller half marathon at some point in my life to see what it’s like to not have to weave in and out of people for the greater part of two hours… but until then, I have to say I love a huge crowd. And this race had a huge crowd of runners. It really pumps me up!

The gross: Ok. Only read and scroll down to this part if you have a strong stomach and like looking at other people’s feet. I’m serious.



So I got three blisters: one on my right foot near my callous which wasn’t all that painful, and two on my left foot. And… I should mention… I have Hobbit feet. Again, I’m sorry.

A bloody one (toe next to big toe, the flash has tamed the intensity of purple and instead highlighted the nail polish):

(Nail Polish: Essie, Bachelorette Bash – thank you Lucy!) You’ll note, I did not lose the toenail, much to my great dissapointment.

And a HUGE one:

I know. I’m sorry. It’s gross. And since I’ve worn these shoes before for long runs without incident, I can only assume I got those because I work cheap, non-wicking socks. And because it was HELLA HOT OUT FOR MARCH:

Yes – I was up at 5:39 a.m. I was actually up at 4:45 a.m. so I could eat breakfast and take care of business before picking-up a friend and driving to DC.

So that’s it! That’s my “recap.” You’ll note I mentioned nothing about the actual race. That’s because you don’t care and neither do I. Suffice to say – it was hot, I sweat a lot, I ran a lot, I hobbled from metro to car to the Maryland Zoo to volunteer with the organization I volunteer for, then went home, showered, went to a dinner, and was home, in bed by 11 p.m. Successful day, successful second half marathon!


What do you think? Share!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s