Today’s Wake-Up Call:
- True to form, Sen. Robert Byrd (D-WV) “cried out several amen’s” during yesterday’s invocation prayer (San Francisco Chronicle).
- New Rep. Cynthia Lummis (R-WY) noticed there is “no women’s restroom in the anteroom outside the House chambers, but there is a special women’s ‘reading’ room and a restroom across statutory hall,” which she called “magnificent” (Casper Star Tribune).
- As a thank-you for taking Biden “to work every day,” Amtrak conductor Gregg Weaver is expected to be among the 40 “everyday Americans” who get to “ride the train” to the inauguration with Obama and Biden (Philadelphia Inquirer).
- After CNN’s John King noted that Dr. Sanjay Gupta “would take a pretty big pay cut if he took” the surgeon general post, CNN’s Blitzer reiterated it would be a “huge pay cut” (“Situation Room”).
- For the month of January, Ben & Jerry’s is renaming their butter pecan ice cream “Yes Pecan!” in support of Obama (New York Daily News blog).