- Ex-JCS Chair/ex-Sec/State Colin Powell endorsed Obama yesterday, painting him as “a transformational figure” and “a new generation coming … onto the world stage” (“Meet the Press“).
- Sarah Palin said yesterday that “the old conventional ways of campaigning” — including McCain’s “robocalls” and “spending so much money” on TV ads — are causing voters to “get a bit irritated” (“Political Ticker“).
- Over the weekend, Obama scored endorsements from the Akron Beacon Journal, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Austin American-Statesman, Buffalo News, Chicago Sun-Times, Chicago Tribune, Cleveland Plain Dealer, Concord Monitor, Denver Post, Detroit Free Press, IN’s Ft. Wayne Journal Gazette, Houston Chronicle, Idaho Statesman, Kansas City Star, La Opinion, Las Vegas Sun, Lexington Herald-Leader, Los Angeles Times, Miami Herald, Naples Daily News, Nashua Telegraph, Nashville Tennessean, New York Daily News, Orlando Sentinel, Palm Beach Post, Philadelphia Inquirer, Raleigh News & Observer, Salt Lake Tribune, Santa Fe New Mexican, Sarasota Herald-Tribune, and conservative talk radio host Michael Smerconish (“Political Punch“).
- Meanwhile, McCain picked up endorsements from the Columbus Dispatch, Corpus Christi Caller-Times, Dallas Morning News, Fargo Forum, Las Vegas Review-Journal, Newport News Daily Press, San Antonio Express-News, San Diego Union-Tribune, and the Tampa Tribune.
- “SNL” — which attracted more than 14M viewers this weekend for Palin’s appearance — hasn’t had “an overnight number this big” since ’94, when a recently-clubbed Nancy Kerrigan was the host (New York Times).
- “Sitting here makes me think about the fact that if Sarah Palin was in office … on a ‘slow’ night, she would probably be dressing as one of the gossip girls or Tina Fey to try and ‘be cool’ enough to get into this club” — Lindsay Lohan, blogging from “a deejay gig” in DC last week (New York Daily News). [Huh? Wha? – Ed.]
- In ’04, when a bunch of “bigwigs” were in her living room trying to convince her husband to run for POTUS, a “fuming” and bikini-clad Jill Biden “found a Magic Marker, and wrote the word ‘no’ across her stomach and then paraded through the meeting” (Washington Post).
- AK “home-schooler” Sven Maakestad, 15, has been volunteering at the McCain-Palin HQ, where he’s making phone calls. Generally, people “have been kind to him, he said,” although once, someone called him a “d-bag” (Anchorage Daily News).