- John McCain “signaled yesterday he must accomplish a key task at tonight’s debate: instill doubt about” Barack Obama (Newsday).
- Sen. Chuck Hagel‘s (R-NE) wife, Lilibet, will endorse Obama today at a presser in Alexandria, VA, with Susan Eisenhower, the granddaughter of Dwight Eisenhower (AP).
- “It’s looking more and more likely” that Palin will appear on “SNL” to get back at Tina Fey, and a spoof of Fey’s American Express commercials is reportedly “in the works” (Chicago Sun-Times).
- The weeklong period in which OH residents could “register to vote and immediately cast a ballot” ended yesterday “with turnout that didn’t quite match the expectations of election officials” (AP).
- Laura Bush has invited the Broadway cast of “Jersey Boys” to the WH “for a second visit” — this time to perform for ex-cruise ship singer/Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi (New York Daily News).
- A spokesperson for House Min. Leader John Boehner said yesterday that it was “ironic” that someone would send him a “suspicious package” full of bacon, since “he has spent his career fighting pork barrel spending” (AP).
- Hustler Video’s new adult film, “Nailin’ Paylin,” includes “a flashback sequence” in which “young Paylin’s creationist college professor will explain a ‘big bang’ theory even she can’t deny!” (New York Daily News).
- After Friday’s bailout vote, Rep. Fred Upton (R-MI) stopped to give Rep. Edolphus Towns (D-NY) “a dramatic hand slap” followed by “an attempted fist-bump” — “but by then, Towns had turned to talk to” someone else (The Hill).
- Conan O’Brien, on McCain dropping out of MI: “Apparently, this is part of McCain’s strategy to try to win votes only in the original 13 colonies” (“Late Night”).